Once we make our purchase and take it home, the work starts on how you prepare your bait. The process that I am going to tell you about is the same process that is applied to the baby beef liver, chicken liver and chicken hearts.For the purpose of this writing I am going to use the chicken hearts. Once I get home, I am going to:
- Remove the hearts from the grocery packaging and place it in a colander and thoroughly wash the chicken hearts. After washing let the colander drain for about 15minutes to get all the water out.
- After the water is all drained, place contents in a large bowl to accommodate the hearts.
- You are going to take about 3 to 4 garlic bulbs, separate them into cloves and remove the shells. Once all the shells are removed, crush the cloves in a mortar and pestle. If you do not have a mortar and pestle, use a food processor or blender. Once it is crushed, let it stand for about 10 minutes. Why 10 minutes?, you want the allicin in the garlic to do it’s magic. This is applicable to all foods when garlic is used.
- Add to the bowl of hearts about 3 tablespoons of soya sauce, 1 table spoon of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce, 2 tablespoon of salt and any other marinade that you want to use. I leave that up to your discretion. After the garlic has completed it’s 10 minutes rest, add the garlic to the bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
- Once it is all mixed, put all the ingredient including the “sauce” into a ziplock bag and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, get a pot that will hold all the hearts, open the ziplock bag and pour all the contents into the pot. Fill the pot with water that will just cover the hearts, add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 1 hour. The smell will be nice.
- After 1 hour, remove and drain in a colander. Let all the water drain. Please do not do what I do. It smells so good that I start to eat the hearts. They taste good. Once the water has drained, spread the hearts out on a paper towel and pat them dry. This is important. It must be dried. If you are using baby liver, this is the time that you will cut up the liver into bait bite sizes. Again here, use your discretion.
- Once the hearts are throughly dried, preheat your oven to 375F. You are going to take all the hearts and spread it on to a cookie sheet. Make sure that the hearts do not touch each other. One the oven has reach it’s temperature, place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 1 hour. I like my bait to be a little crispy, however some people like their bait to have a little moisture in it. With this said, you should check the bait in the oven to see if it is to your liking.